Join us on Monday, March 6th to build on the guiding principles developed at our February 3rd workshop and help draft a winter cycling network for the City of Winnipeg. The goal of this meeting will be to try and put together a series of spines connecting central Winnipeg and the Downtown to outlying neighbourhoods.
Draft Guiding Principals
- Maintain an uninterrupted bike network through winter that provides a snow cleared bike route from every neighbourhood to central/downtown Winnipeg.
- The snow cleared network needs to be reliable. People need to know if their pathways, bike lanes and neighbourhood greenways they depend on for transportation will be cleared when they need them.
- Thresholds for snow clearing need to be based on the needs of people on bikes, not coupled to the snow clearing thresholds for roadways which are based on the needs of people in cars.
- Pathways, bike lanes, and neighbourhood greenways on the winter bike network need to be continuously monitored and plowed/groomed as required. Snow clearing should be proactive, not complaint driven.
- Keep existing physically separated paths and greenways clear
- Clear the existing painted facilities (diamond lanes and bike lanes)