Local Bike Group Coordinator (Community Organizer)
Bike Winnipeg is a non-profit, member-based organization working to make cycling in Winnipeg a safe, enjoyable, accessible, and convenient transportation choice year round.
We are seeking a passionate individual in Winnipeg for the position of Local Bike Groups Coordinator (Community Organizer) to assist with our Local Bike Groups Project, who supports the mission and vision of Bike Winnipeg, and who is committed to active transportation.
This position is for 480-560 hours starting August 3rd, 2021, with a potential mix of full-time and part-time hours depending on the candidate’s availability and job requirements. The end date is flexible, but cannot be later than February 26th, 2022. Exact dates will depend on the successful candidate’s availability and job requirements.
From a combination of formal education and related experience, you must:
- Be between the ages of 18-30 (inclusive) at the start of the internship (this is a requirement of the Canada Summer Jobs Program and is considered affirmative action)
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or persons granted refugee status in Canada
- Have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
- Have a high school diploma or equivalent
- Meeting facilitation and organization skills
- Comfort with communication in English
- Comfort interacting with the public in group situations
Duties & Responsibilities
In general, the successful applicant will expand and replicate Bike Winnipeg’s activities and events into neighbourhoods with lower cycling activity or representation through the creation of multiple Local Bike Groups. Tasks include:
- Organizing groups of people across Winnipeg who are interested in cycling
- Coordinating cycling-related events and activities
- Organizing communications and meetings of these groups
- Creating and updating event templates
- Provide basic route planning for low-stress cycling routes
- Providing a basic overview of engagement and feedback opportunities
- Connecting new and novice cyclists with resources
- Adhere to all public health orders
- Other tasks as assigned
You are expected to provide your own cell phone and laptop. Maintaining a year-round bike is not required but is strongly encouraged.
Job duties will require a mix of in-office and out-of-office work, with the potential for some work to be completed remotely from your home. Substantial evening and weekend work will be required.
Abilities & Attributes
- Results-focused with strong follow through, excellent time management and organizational skills
- Friendly and respectful with a positive work attitude
- Organized, self-disciplined, and reliable
- Creative and strategic thinking
- Self-initiating and thrives in an independent work environment
- Professional email, phone, web, and media etiquette
- Commitment to the cause
July 16th, 2021, 5:00pm Central Time
Interviews will be held via Zoom
$18.00/hr, 480-560 hours
Applications will be accepted by email only until the deadline. If this opportunity interests you, please email your cover letter, resume, and references to email@example.com with “Local Bike Groups Coordinator” in the subject heading. In your cover letter, please confirm that you meet all of the mandatory qualifications noted above.
We seek diversity in our workplace and strive to reflect the community we serve. Indigenous persons, women & gender-diverse people, visible minorities, and persons with a disability are encouraged to self-declare as a part of your application.
No phone calls please.